Olivo out again with right hamstring cramps

Olivo out again with right hamstring cramps

Olivo out again with right hamstring cramps
SEATTLE -- Catcher Miguel Olivo was out of the Mariners' lineup for a second straight game Friday as he continues recovering from muscle cramps in his right hamstring, but manager Eric Wedge indicated the veteran was close to returning.

Josh Bard got the start again Friday against the Padres, with Jose Yepez as his backup. Both were selected from Triple-A Tacoma on Wednesday after Olivo began having trouble with his leg and Chris Gimenez went on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique muscle.

Olivo has started 50 of the past 59 games for the Mariners and prides himself on his durability, so he's eager to get back in action.

"He feels better," said Wedge. "Anxious, a little ornery, irritated. Those are all good things. Today, he'll take some BP and play catch. Tomorrow, we'll get him running around a little bit. We'll see where he's at. I think tomorrow or the next day he should be OK."

Once Olivo is better, Yepez likely will be returned to Tacoma. The 30-year-old has never played in the Major Leagues, and had to be added to the 40-man roster due to the sudden shortage.

But the Mariners will need a roster spot by Sunday in order to add a fill-in starting pitcher for Erik Bedard, who also went on the disabled list Wednesday with a sprained knee.

Wedge said he doesn't expect Bedard to be out longer than his minimum 15-day DL stint.

"I had a good talk with him today," said Wedge. "We'll take him on the trip, have him keep working and get him back going and keep him in it mentally and physically. Hopefully we can get him back right after the break. That's the plan. Hopefully they caught it early enough that we can nip it in the bud and get right back at it."

The other under-the-radar health news involved backup infielder Jack Wilson, who was absent Tuesday and Wednesday while fighting the flu. The team sent him home to keep him away from his teammates and avoid the illness from spreading, but he was back Friday and available for duty.